Monday, November 1, 2010

Hideous Green Afghan

I've mentioned before that I am crocheting an afghan out of a horrible shade of green acrylic yarn that I had lying about. Back in 1992(!) I started knitting a sweater out of this yarn, but what on earth was I thinking with this color? I finally took it out of the storage bin and started making a simple afghan with single crochet using the pattern posted by Mary Grace on Hooked On Needles



I just wish I could capture the really hideous shade of green of this yarn. Here I have it lying on the grass in the back yard, which is a lovely shade of green.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I only had enough of the it to make a very small afghan which measured 35 by 38 inches.  This is something of an odd proportion, especially as I followed Mary Grace's very explicit instructions exactly - or so I thought. It seems as though it should be longer, and not so much resembling a square. This is what happens when you try to crochet something after not picking up a crochet hook in over a decade.

Notice the pretty yarn on the border? I picked this up at Joann's Fabrics; it was the only yarn that actually had the color of my original green. It is Sensations Angel Hair Yarn, 22% wool, 50% acrylic and 28% nylon. The wool in it makes it so much nicer to handle than the 100% acrylic. I bought four skeins, so this afghan will only be a lap size, but at this size it may be somewhat useful.  I think of this yarn a circus colors, as it is so bright and pretty.

I had originally intended to get this done while watching the World Series, but so far it hasn't worked out that way. So I'll keep plugging away in the evenings while watching TV. I'll keep you posted on the progress, and label the posts so you can ignore them at will.

1 comment:

  1. Cynthia, I think it looks great! But isn't it funny how it does turn out more square than you'd think, after having started it rectangular. Mine did the same thing! This is the perfect size for a baby blanket, for in a stroller or as a play mat on the floor. If you can't think of anything else to do with it, you can always donate it to your local hospital for their pediatric unit or maternity floor for a sick child or new baby. Or your local crisis pregnancy center I'm sure would love to give it to a new mom. Doesn't it feel good to have that yarn used up and not taking up space anymore? Great job!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.