Saturday, November 6, 2010

An Introduction to Goldwork

Since I dug out my old Stumpwork Initial and have been working on it I really feel so much better. I must have been having embroidery withdrawals.

For some time I have been  anxious to try my hand at goldwork, especially since following several blogs that often have lovely goldwork projects.  I have been regularly reading NeedlenThread, Ruth O'Leary's Textile Arts, The Embroider's Story and The Unbroken Thread, all of which have plenty of goldwork projects for inspiration.


Then I realized that I had made this is a sweet little needlecase, from a kit, of course, in a class by Wendy Schoen. It is one of her line of Le Jardin projects and is available on her website. It has been tucked into my workbag and goes with me on all of my sewing outings. It is pretty much all shadow work using floche on silk dupioni fabric. The stems and flower centers are couched gold threads and a few spangles are added for bling.


It is a very basic design, but functional. I love the teal gingham and matching trim and ribbon. 

I will not be able to get much stitching done today. I have been thinking about the border for my black and white log cabin quilt, and have a design worked out, but not enough fabric. Luckily, the local quilt store is having a sale today. Then the nursery is having its Christmas open house, and I always go to pick up a few ornaments for my angel tree. My Christmas tree is decorated with angel ornaments, but more about that later. Then it is off to have lunch with my sister and mom, shopping and who knows what else. So I am off to get a few minutes of stitching in before it's time to leave.

Have a great Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Goldwork is something I have not tried, but I do love seeing what Mary Corbet over at Needlenthread does with her stuff. Quite fascinating.

    Lovely needlecase you made there. The gingham is darling and I love the flowers! Nice job!

    Your shopping and lunch date with your mom and sister sounds like lots of fun.

    MGM

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.