Monday, March 21, 2011

Long and Short Stitch Tutorial


We leave for London tomorrow morning, so all posts for the next 1 1/2 weeks are written and scheduled for publication. I'm taking along a project designed to help stitchers become proficient in long and short stitch shading, from Mary Corbet's NeedlenThread.com site published in August 2009, which is about the time I discovered her site. The photo is pretty pathetic, right? I put this together for my trip to Australia in October 2009 and this is as far as I got.  I did iron it a bit for the photo but didn't want to spend the time to get all the wrinkles out as I'll put it right back into the hoop. Please visit Mary's site in the link above to see what it's really supposed to look like. 


I even put together the threads from the cards she had available to print. I'm hoping to become more proficient in long and short stitch shading before I tackle Trish Burr's needle painting online correspondence course.

I hope I can manage to make some significant progress on this project during a 9 hour layover in San Francisco. I did purchase the airline club access so we'll have someplace comfortable to wait with internet access.  Wish me luck!

Footnote: What's really odd about our trip is the weather forecast. My little corner of Southern California shows rain for five of the next ten days with highs in the low 60s. The London forecast is completely rain free, with highs in the high 50s. Who would have thought?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck and have a wonderful time! A 9 hour layover if you're in the lounge won't be so bad...I always love traveling because I feel a bit "out of time" - no phone calls, no demands on me - just relaxing time. AS for the weather, I've had only lovely weather whenever I've been in England - which is often as my husband is British and we go home a lot. I think it's all a myth to keep the rest of us from invading their lovely country too often!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.