Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Some Serious Labor Day Stitching



When I last left you with this project, I was having some trouble getting the shading right on the flower. I spent some serious time on it this weekend, and finished the upper left flower.


The third flower is a bit on the dark side,


but I did manage to lighten up the two bottom flowers. Now it's on to the leaves on the lower right hand flower.

After searching Trish's kits for a while and following a suggestion from Carol Anne in the UK, I finally decided that this flower is a plumeria, at least that is what we call it here in the US. In much of the rest of the world it's known as frangipani. I actually planted two of them two years ago, and now one is blooming.


The other one I planted is red and is due to bloom soon. I know it's late in the year for blooming, but I just haven't fed them as I should. The fragrance is just heavenly, and I should see the red one  blooming in a week or so. I did buy some special blooming fertilizer and have been giving them regular feedings to boost next year's blooms, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for a better blooming period next summer.

The removal of the popcorn on the ceilings is finished, but the new texture is being applied this week and next. What a mess! Everything in the house is coated with a fine film of dust.  I cover the embroidery and hide it in my closet with the door closed, so it escapes the worst of it. I have no lights in the hallway near the study, and there are so many boxes in here I can't reach the one lamp, making me writing this by the glow of the computer screen. After all this is finished, then we start painting. I can't wait to get my sewing room back.

I hope you are all enjoying nice fall weather without hurricanes. The daytime temperatures are still in the high 80's to low 90's, but the lows are getting lower and it's deliciously cool in the mornings.

It's now September, and I have a dilemma.  My online class with Trish Burr on the Little Bee Eater has started, and there is now way I can finish this current bird in the next week or so. To top it off, I packed away my other sit-upon hoop, so do I pack away the current project in favor of the Little Bee Eater, or finish it and start the Bee Eater later? I don't know how long Trish will allow the class to run, I'll look it up sometime when I can see what I'm doing in the study.

To close, I'll post this reference to Piece O' Cake blog. It's about cats, and if you're a cat lover, you will appreciate Henri. I've watched it several times and still laugh out loud at it.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you put the day to good use.=) It's coming along beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauvre Henri! I love that one too. I can visualize you typing by the glow of the screen, lol! But it will all be worth it - I remember what a dusty nightmare those popcorn ceilings were.

    Your stitching is coming along well, but I would recommend packing it up and focusing on the Bee Eater for the duration of the class. I think that will allow you to maximize the value that Trish is offering, because you never really know what exact issues you will have unless you are sewing along with everyone else. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just about reached the same conclusion, I don't want to be left behind on the Bee Eater, and I'm at a good stopping point on flowers. I do hate to leave a design element unfinished.

      Delete
  3. Che brava che sei!!!!! Sta venendo un lavoro fantastico
    Baci
    Emi

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.