Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Little Bee Eater Finished, and Some News



Over the long Memorial Day weekend (I had four days off), I was able to get in some serious stitching time. When last I left the Little Bee Eater, the head and beak weren't even touched. This weekend I did these, and am amazed at how lifelike the eye looks. Trish Burr is such a fantastic designer.


And here he is, all completed. The claws are bullions with some straight stitches at the tips. I love how alive he looks, and if you look at the original post, you'll see a photo of a Bee Eater I downloaded from Wikipedia. I also can't believe that I started this almost a year ago, in early June 2012. The entire embroidery is only 2 1/2 inches high by 3 inches wide, so it's pretty little.

This is a typical Trish Burr embroidery. Great illustrations and instruction, so well written that even someone with very rudimentary skills can do a good job on it. It does take an amazingly large number of colors, but that's needle painting. There is a lot of subtle shading, and that takes quite a few skeins of floss. This particular kit required 28 different colors.

And so the news: Some of you will remember that I have mentioned in the past that I have a very long commute to work, three hours roundtrip. I've finally decided to retire, effective this Friday, and end my affair with the freeway. I am so thrilled I feel as though I'm floating through life. I never envisioned I would be so happy about retiring. Well, my first project will be starting on flower girl dresses for my niece's wedding at the end of June. It's only two dresses, a size 5 and a 2T, so they shouldn't take too long.  There is a long list of other things to do, from exercising more to unfinished embroidery projects to unearthing my inner housewife. And I certainly expect to do a lot more blogging. I did make a start on sewing clothes for myself, so expect to see some posts on that subject.

Only three more days to go...

8 comments:

  1. That is excellent news, Cynthia! You can tell by how you feel that it was the right decision.

    The Bee Eater looks amazing. 28 colours! You did a great job. My needlepainting really needs help, maybe a course with Trish will help me too.

    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous stitching and congrats on retiring. You will have lots more time for yourself and your family now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your expanded sewing time aka retirement. Your Bee Eater is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah for you, Cynthia! Hurrah for the breathtaking Little Bee Eater and hurrah for retirmen!!!! I can't wait to see what wonderful things you will accomplish with this extra time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. margaret c. (san diego)June 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM

    Cynthia, congratulations on the bee eater, he's lovely. You've made great strides in thread painting! Congratulations also on retiring, I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, Cynthia...now this is simply stunning! I love how the thread painting really brings it to life, and you're right. The eye is truly wonderful. I can see I'm going to have fun exploring "California Stitching". Congratulations on your retirement. You're gonna love it!
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.