Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Lots of Stitching Today!

Five inches so far, and more falling
Here is a view out my apartment front door today, we have a blizzard warning! So my daughter is staying home and we aren't watching the baby today. As they say, "ain't nobody goin' nowhere". We have about 5 inches (13 cm) with more coming. Winds are around 30 mph, blizzard conditions are sustained winds of 35 mph, so we are close to being an honest to gosh blizzard. Luckily the driveway for the house got poured on Monday, so it's curing nicely.

I'm still down with bronchitis, as the first batch of antibiotics was completely ineffective. I saw the doctor on Monday, and the new batch he prescribed are definitely having an affect. I feel much better and the cough isn't nearly so frightful as it was last week.

Lizbeth Size 20 Color #184 Sample
I finally finished tatting the sample of Lizbeth tatting thread that Handy Hands sent me with an order last year. The sample was Size 20, color #184 Rainbow Splash. I tatted these items from "New Tatting" by Tomoko Morimoto. The large bookmark at the top was last, and should only have three motifs in it. However, as I tatted, I realized I could keep going, so managed to tat five motifs in all. I had only 1 1/2 ft of tatting thread left, so that cut it close! I used DMC Cebelia Size 30 in Ecru as the ball thread. I find I don't like Cebelia as a tatting thread, it's a bit on the soft side compared to the Lizbeth. I gave away all the other colors I had to the ladies in my tatting group, and will bring the rest of the ecru next week. Some of the other ladies love it, so they can have it. I found that it is a waste of time to try to tat (or embroider, or sew, etc) with something I really don't like. After all, this is supposed to be fun. So I have been trying to give away the things I don't like, and usually someone else is very happy to have it.

I plan on working on the Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt today, maybe I can get another border finished. I've done two, only two more to go.

One more photo to share:

More cake!
Sunday was my QA inspector's first birthday. He certainly likes his birthday cake.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Cynthia, sorry to hear you were sick but happy to hear you are on the mend now. So much nasty is spreading around out here too...ugh! Love the snow pics...we had a little taste of winter at the beginning of the week, but it was all gone by the next day. It was just enough to cause school cancellations and delays all over the place though! We've been lucky this winter, that's for sure! Your tatting is gorgeous! That's one skill I never did master. Keep feeling better so you can spend more time with that darling little man!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cynthia, the SNOW! Is this normal? And here I am, complaining about bit of night time frost!
    Your tatting looks very good, very pretty.
    I hope you'll get better quickly, not much fun otherwise :-( - I hope you'll enjoy Easter.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this blizzard on TV. Who needs a spring blizzard? Hope it all melts soon! Your tatting is wonderful with that colorful thread playing quite the starring role. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness yes. I've recently been working with a pearl cotton twisted with a metalised thread. It's very pretty, but I've not been enjoying it. I need to start looking for someone who will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well happy birthday to the young sir! He certainly does seem very pleased with himself and his cake.
    Your tatting is very pretty. I like the combination of the Rainbow Splash with the ecru border. Too bad the thread didn't work the way you had hoped it would, but it still looks very nice.
    Hope you get over your bronchitis and feel back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.